Meeting of the Inter-ministerial Steering Committee for FinTechmodification date 16 January 2019
On 10 January 2019, on the initiative of the Polish Financial Supervision Authority (KNF), the first meeting of the Inter-ministerial Steering Committee for FinTech was held. The meeting took place at the KNF headquarters.
The meeting was attended by representatives of the KNF, the Chancellery of the President of the Council of Ministers, the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Digitisation, Ministry of Business and Technology, Ministry of Investment and Development, Office of Competition and Consumer Protection, and the National Bank of Poland.
The purpose of the Committee is to jointly coordinate the activities of various institutions and public bodies for the purpose of development of the FinTech sector in Poland, to establish common positions and to undertake common inter-ministerial measures in the field of FinTech. The Committee will meet regularly, once a month.
The first meeting of the Committee was opened by the Deputy Chair of the KNF Board Marcin Pachucki. The Coordinator of the Committee is Artur Granicki, Director of the FinTech Department at the KNF.
The following issues were raised at the first meeting:
- each of the institutions participating in the meeting presented its activities and identified challenges in the area of FinTech,
- the KNF presented a draft Act amending the regulations on FinTech businesses (e.g. introduction of limited test licences for FinTech businesses in the Regulatory Sandbox, introduction of a register of crowdfunding platforms and regulation of their operation, introduction of changes concerning liberalisation of laws providing for the use of cloud solutions and outsourcing in the banking sector, introduction of a small e-money institution, introduction of small insurance undertakings as a separate category of entities operating on the basis of an entry in the register, introduction of changes concerning liberalisation in the operation of small payment institutions),
- the KNF presented the strategy for promotion of the Polish FinTech sector and for operation in the field of FinTech (e.g. the plan of information and educational activities, the plan of active promotion of Polish FinTech businesses abroad, the plan to set up a Polish FinTech pavilion at international FinTech conferences),
- the participants discussed common challenges the public administration and the financial market will need to face in the area of FinTech in 2019, and the related joint action plan (e.g. with regard to issues such as durable medium, blockchain technology, speeding up the licensing procedures),
- finally, the participants established the Committee’s work schedule and priorities.